Since the kids are coming, we had to be ready. Our classroom reveal…Superhero theme. I am a theme person and I love making the environment I spend 8+ hours a day in pleasant and inviting. Crafting and Pinterest are my relaxation.
1. I love school supplies! I know, I’m nerdy! I get excited to see them up in the aisles and walk through them multiple times. However, my son’s supply list generally results in a little stress. There is always something that requires trips to 3-4 stores even though I shop in July! This year it is the elusive plastic ORANGE folder with prongs. I will find you plastic orange folder with prongs!
2. Speaking of school supplies, it drives me nuts when kids draw all over the class erasers, especially the giant ones I buy. So this year Bob the Eraser will be standing guard…
3. My son and I started listening to Tuesdays at the Castle in the car this week. We were really enjoying it, but we didn’t finish it before we had to return it to the library. Unfortunately, we couldn’t renew it. Luckily there was a copy of the book in print available, but now the British accent will only be in our heads. 😦 (The lady reading the story had a British accent! How fun!)
The characters are the prince and princesses living in a magical castle. Every Tuesday the castle changes, a tower here, an extra room there. How awesome! Right now the king, queen, and oldest son are missing. The remaining siblings are working with the Castle to find their family and keep their kingdom safe. I can’t wait to find out what happens!
4. Exactly two weeks from today will be our opening Institute Day for the school year. I have mixed emotions. While I can’t wait to start teaching again and applying everything that has been filling my brain all summer, I am going to miss spending all day with my son.
5. Finally, my birthday is coming up next week. 28. That is way close to the big three zero. I know that I am still young and have so much ahead of me, but I keep thinking of that Tim McGraw song, My Next Thirty Years. When that came out I think I was in middle school and I remember thinking, “Gosh, that is really old.” Now I know better, but it is still hard to believe I am this old! It’s freaking me out a little.
Last year we went with the Hollywood theme. We wanted to change it up for the new year, but had to figure out how to keep our awesome classroom library. So….Superheroes! There are ton of superhero movies after all and we are going to be VERY boy heavy this year.
I found this perfect fabric for a bulletin board…Score!
The first DIY I finished is for the birthdays. Each kid will have a star with their name and birthday. The star will be hot glued under the month they were born. I did this last year too (A Star is Born), not an original idea. I found it somewhere online.
Second, I painted new Popsicle sticks. (Also not an original idea!) These are much better than the traditional Popsicle sticks. We used these last year for our morning meeting and they worked great when we remembered what color we were picking. 🙂 During the days that we do an open share for morning meeting, we pick a stick and then turn it to the other color. This way we can make sure everyone gets a turn over the course of the week.
I’m also working on the fairy throne/garden that I wrote about here. What next? Hmmm…..